Discovering The God of The Universe: GFBC VBS 2017

Every June since I was 4, I always get excited about one thing…VBS! Vacation Bible School is the time I look forward to the most every year. Why? Because it is the number one evangelistic event that can be used by a church to reach lost people. As a matter of fact, it was during VBS that I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 2007. Did you know…Studies have shown that most kids, by the age of 13, will believe what they will believe for the rest of their lives. That is why it is so important to plant the Word of God in the kids. VBS is a fun, effective way to do this. During VBS, kids are exposed to the Word of God through study, music, games, crafts, and more.

This was my 17th year to be a part of VBS is some form or fashion. Kind of makes me feel old. My first was when I was 4. I spent 9 years as a kid participating in VBS. The last 8 years have been spent serving at VBS, mainly through media. Not only did I participate in one VBS this year, but TWO VBS’s in the same week!!! How did I do it? I told many people during VBS week that the secret is the Holy Spirit and lots of caffeine. This week, I want to focus on VBS at Gardendale First Baptist Church. Next week, I will focus on the other VBS I helped at, Cleveland First Baptist, and the week after that I will focus on lessons learned from VBS 2017.

This was my first ever VBS at GFBC. I recall in early May wanting to be a part of VBS but didn’t know who to ask. Three weeks before VBS, GFBC sent out an email saying they needed volunteers in all areas. I felt that God was saying, “Here is your opportunity. I know how much you love VBS and I am making a way for you to be a part of it!” I responded to Pastor Scott’s email and was plugged into the 4th grade group. The next Sunday after church, I got to meet many people who work with Kidz Kingdom and went through a 3-hour training session for VBS. I got real excited and started promoting VBS and filming promotional videos. I have always loved promoting fun events through the use of media products. 

I began to study the 5 lessons that would be taught at VBS. I feel that no matter what way or form one helps out at VBS, they should be familiar with the content that is being taught. I love how LifeWay organized the content this year. This year’s 5 points were God created everything, sin messed everything up but God had a plan to fix it, a restoration was promised, the restoration came into fruition when Jesus died on the cross for EVERYONE, and the relationship with God continues today! I also found the Galactic Starveyor’s music and motions and started to practice them. VBS music has always been one of my favorite elements of VBS. LifeWay hits it out of the park every year! I don’t think I’ll ever get “God is over the mo-oo-oo-oo-oon” out of my head, which is fine with me. The Sunday before VBS, the kids led the worship services. Something about the kids leading worship and Pastor Kevin’s sermon, related to the theme, had me super excited about what the week had in store. After the worship service, it was time to help decorate and get the church ready for 1,000 kids! I loved helping Pastor Scott and seeing many classrooms turn into galactic, space themed treehouses. I even found the cookie room! Over 20,000 cookies were donated for VBS. That’s enough that when stacked, they would be as tall as 6 of the crosses outside of GFBC!

Monday came and I didn’t know what to expect. After all, I have never been a part of a VBS this big before. I got to be assistant to Mrs. Leslie’s 4th grade class (she is one of the sweetest, nicest people you will ever meet!). One of my favorite parts would have to be the worship rally’s. Hundreds of kids praising God with everything they have made my heart jump for joy! The skits, music, and energy from the kids made it one of the parts of the day that I would look forward too! The highlight of the week was Thursday, the ABC day. During this day, Pastor Kevin presented the Gospel to the children. The Gospel was beautifully explained! God rules. We sinned. God provided. Jesus gives. We respond. We respond by A, Admitting to God that we are sinners, B, Believing that Jesus is God’s Son and that there is no other way to Salvation, and C, Confessing our faith in Jesus as our Savior and Lord. The children would then have the opportunity to respond. I became emotional when many kids raised their hands, because I knew they had just made THE BEST DECISION OF THEIR LIVES! As a matter of fact, ten years ago during VBS week, I accepted Jesus as my Savior!
Photo Credit: Gardendale First Baptist Church Facebook Page

 I saw God work in so many ways at GFBC VBS this year, and I am thankful that He let me be a small part of what He did! I also made lots of new friends! Thanks to Pastor Kevin, Pastor Scott, Mrs. Angela, Mrs. Leslie, Mr. Ryan, and most importantly to God for making this VBS the best ever!
Here are some facts from GFBC VBS 2017….1036 Average daily attendance | 103 Decisions: Broken down: 39 First time decisions for Christ 64 Re-dedications and/or Baptism | Mission Offering: 8,064.36 Dollars! (Going towards children’s projects in India, Honduras and Uganda)

You can watch a recap video, produced by the GFBC media ministry, HERE

I am ready for VBS 2018…GAME ON! Gearing up for life’s big game! Already have the theme song and the theme verse memorized, 2 Peter 1:3.

Portions of this were previously published on my Facebook account on June 11, 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10