5 Things I Learned from VBS 2017

The past two weeks I have shared about the two VBS’s I got to serve at this summer. Today, I wanted to write about what I realized or what God revealed to me during VBS this year.

1: VBS is a Mission!
I remember when I was young, I used to always look forward to Missions class and learning about missionaries from all over the world. It was so cool, and still is, to see people going around the world and sharing the Good News to people of all ages and ethnicities. I went on my first mission trip when I was 17, with my church youth group along with a youth group from Germany. We went to West Virginia to do a kids camp. In three of the last four years, I have been to Mexico, mainly to visit family, but also to observe what needs the people have. Although I sometimes get discouraged because I may not be able to travel on more mission trips because of schedule, school, or lack of funds, I know that God is in control over that. When the time comes, I believe that God will open a door for me to travel. A very important truth I learned this year is that VBS is just as important as going far out to tell other about Jesus. This summer, I got to see over a thousand kids come to GFBC and CFBC to learn about God’s Word. By the age of 13, most kids have already formed what they are going to believe for the rest of their lives. This is an important time for kids to build the foundation of what they will cling to in life. I learned that God used me and made a way for me to be a small part of what He is doing in the kid’s lives.

2: Teaching: A Hidden Gift?
Many of you know that I have an interest in weather. In 2015, I developed an educational program to teach kids about weather in Alabama and weather safety. For the past two school years, I have gone to my former elementary school and taught this program. When asked this year if I would teach VBS at CFBC, I was eager, but also a little anxious about it. I would be teaching kids the Word of God, which is a HUGE deal and helping lead them to a relationship with Christ. I passionately studied the Bible stories that would be taught for both Summer Games and Galactic Starveyors VBS. I wanted to know every detail about what would be taught on that certain day. Although the first day was a little rough, I finally had the hang of it by the end of the week. I am extremely thankful to God for giving me many gifts, and I think He used VBS to reveal another one of my gifts…teaching.


3: A Passion for Kids Worship/Ministry
I think I have always been good with kids. Sometimes I have the energy of a kid. This year at VBS, I got to be a part of GFBC’s Kidz Kingdom. Pastor Kevin preached about discovering the God of the universe before VBS and made this point. Don’t underestimate the power of a kid’s worship. It made my heart leap for joy when I attended the worship rally at the end of VBS and see one thousand kids singing “Jesus, you paid the price, what a great sacrifice you have made to call us Your own.” I loved seeing the kids praising God with motions to sings, skits, and competition. The kids were so motivated to help out the people of Uganda, India, and Honduras that they blew our goal of $5,000 and almost doubled it! I love to be with the kids worshipping and letting them know that even a college student needs Jesus in their life. In these times, it is important to train up mighty warriors for Christ who will not be afraid to stand up for what they believe in and what is right.


4: VBS Music is My Favorite!
I always look forward to the VBS theme reveal each June, in which the theme for the next year is announced. VBS 2018 is Game On! Gearing Up for Life’s Big Game. The music has always been one of my favorite parts of VBS. Whether it’s the music written by Jeff Slaughter, Jeremy Johnson, Paul Marino, or my good friend Joseph Mixon, God uses these writers! I can remember many songs from my childhood, like “A-a-wiki, B-a-wiki, C-a-wiki”, “I want to honor you God and follow your commands”, “Go boy!, Go Girl! Go be a witness all over the world”, and many more. Whether it’s classic songs like “This Little Light of Mine” or “Every Move I Make”, or newer songs that relate to each year’s theme, like “God is over the moo-oo-oo-oo-oon”, I know that God is using these songs to plant truths in the hearts of kids. I still find myself humming these songs. VBS songs always will stick with you!

5: I Learned How to Study the Bible
Although I have always been in a family that is firmly rooted in God’s Word, I have struggled to stay committed to reading God’s Word. I would memorize verses, but not actually go into study in God’s Word. That has changed this summer. As I was getting ready for VBS, I studied the Bible, took notes, and prayed. It got to the point that after VBS, I could not go a day without reading at least something from the Bible. I bought a notebook to take notes and summarize what I read. My study starts with prayer and then a verse of the day. After studying the verse, I write down a daily application, or challenge, that I can take with me throughout the day and week. I then read a part of a book. This week I finished the book of Acts. I like to write down a summary and a point. What is God saying in this passage. Needless to say, I have felt closer to God than I ever have. I think that this is the biggest takeaway from VBS 2017; I learned to love, appreciate, study, and apply the Word of God into my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10