Watchword 2019: Focus

Focus- a center of activity, attraction, or attention; a point of concentration

It’s officially 2019! I’m so excited and ready for 2019. There’s a lot to be excited about, from graduating from UAB in April to interning at a local television station this Spring. It’s a year of transition. I’ll be transitioning from going to school everyday to going to work instead.

I’m eager to see where the Lord leads me in 2019. Every year that I’ve been at GFBC, Pastor Kevin has challenged all of us to pray for a watchword at the beginning. At the end of the year we could go back and see how God use that word to impact of lives. In 2019, my watchword is focus.

I should know a lot about focus. Being a broadcast communications major and a volunteer of GFBC’s media team, I work with cameras a lot. Our professor always stresses to make sure our image is always in focus. When I run a camera at church there are times someone will say, “check your focus.” Why is focus so important? In an image, the point that I want you to concentrate on is the clearest and most sharp. Focus allows us to concentrate our attention to that person or thing. An image or video in focus will allow the person looking at it to get a fuller extent of the story being told. If my image is completely out of focus, you won’t be able to tell what the image is. It won’t be clear as to what you’re looking at. Also, if my image is focused on the wrong thing, your attention will be on the wrong thing. It will be worthless.

The verse to back up my watchword for 2019 is Matthew 6: 33, “But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.” (CSB) Quick background: Jesus is giving the Sermon on the Mount and is talking about how to deal with worries and anxiety. He gives many examples of how He will take care of you like He takes care of the birds and animals.

I’ll admit that I tend to wonder what this year is going to bring, especially what type of job He has waiting for me upon graduation. In 2017, I really started digging deep into God’s Word and forming a study time. Something to keep me focused on Him. I am a morning person. I like to get up early and study a Passage before I get my day started. I listen to Christian music and podcasts and talk to God as I make the close-to-an-hour drive to Birmingham. I feel this year is going to be crazy, but my goal is to keep my focus, my center of attention, on God as He guides me through this transition in 2019. I went 2 years of my college career focusing on my way and that was a disaster. Last year, I experienced what God does in one’s life when they focus on Him daily. My priorities changed. It wasn’t about me! It wasn’t about gaining as much as I could in this world. Honors and titles don’t define me. I trust that God will lead me to where I’m supposed to be in this season of life. I trust that He will provide, but ultimately that’s a blessing and not what will define me. What will define me is that I am a child of the one, true King.

This year, I want to trust Him like never before. This year, I want to listen to Him more than ever before. This year, I want to follow Him more than ever before. This year, I want to serve Him more than ever before. This year, I want to point others to Him more than ever before. This year, I want to let Him guide me more than ever before.

This year, I want to focus more on God than ever before and let Him make the rest of the picture clear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10