No, I Couldn't Fix It

Have you ever messed up, and no matter how hard you tried, you just couldn’t fix it?

You tried everything and nothing worked.

That happened to me last week. I am currently in the process of putting together multiple videos for GFBC's Vacation Bible School 2019. One of the videos I am producing is a Sharing the Gospel video, where we will explain God's plan of salvation. If you know me well, you know I love to get creative. This year, I asked my team members who are going to be helping me in VBS if they would be willing to be a part of this video. They were all very willing, so we set up a day to film.

A few weeks later, the day to film the video finally arrived. I set up my camera, microphones, and even a teleprompter. We filmed the introduction and then everybody did their individual lines. I put on my headphones, making sure I was getting good clear audio. We filmed the video in about 45 minutes.

Two days later, I transferred the video files over to the computer that I would be editing on. Honestly, editing this video wouldn’t take more than an hour... or so I thought.

I quickly noticed that all the audio on the video was unusable. I don’t know what happened. It sounded good on the headphones when we were recording. What happened? I spent three hours trying everything I could to fix the audio.

Nothing worked.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I felt so powerless. I couldn’t fix this. I knew I’d have to make some hard phone calls. I called my team members and told them what had happened. You could hear it in my voice: I was embarrassed and ashamed. The reaction I got from my team members was actually something that surprised me. One of the team members comforted me and even prayed for me. They told me I shouldn’t be so hard on myself. Things happen. Another team member reminded me that the enemy will do things to keep the gospel quiet. The enemy will fight what he doesn't like. They showed such grace and forgiveness towards me, when I had been the one who messed up so bad. I didn't deserve it. We are currently planning to re-film the video.
 ***
I’ve been thinking a lot about this during this past week. God used this situation to remind me how much I need Him, His grace, His forgiveness, His love, and His salvation. You see, I am a sinner. We all are. At some point in our lives, we have chosen to disobey God. No matter how much we try to be "good", we can’t. We fall short.

Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

So what can we do to fix our sin problem?

We, humans, can’t do a single thing to fix our sin problem.

People often say if you do enough good things in this world, you’ll go to heaven. If you do this or that, you will go to heaven. All the good things you do will be enough to outweigh the bad things you’ve done. That, however, is a lie.

That’s why we need Jesus. Our sin, my sin, separates me from God. My punishment for sin: death. But God provided a solution, a fix. God loves me, you, so much that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

But why Jesus? Jesus lived a perfect life, died the death that I, you, should’ve died. He died a gruesome death on the cross. But death was no match for Jesus, the Son of God. Three days later, the tomb where Jesus was buried was empty. He defeated death once and for all. He provided a way to the Father. All we have to do is turn to Jesus. Repent from our sin. Put our trust in Him.

Jesus offers grace.
Jesus offers forgiveness.
Jesus offers salvation.
Jesus forgives our mess ups.
Jesus gives us a new start.

That is why I praise Him.
That is why I want to tell people about Him.
That is why I trust Him with my life.

Jesus, worthy of all my praise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10