Effort Into Understanding

The last few weeks have been full of a lot of firsts for me. I recently started school at UAB. I have enjoyed every aspect of being at UAB. One other thing that also started (or restarted) this year was UAB football. Let me go ahead and say that I am a person who doesn’t like football because I don’t understand it. Or do I? I had planned to attend at least one football game because it is my school and I want to support it. The night before #TheReturn of UAB football, I got a text from a close family friend. They asked if I had any plans to attend the UAB football game. I said “no”. They then told me they had an extra seat in their car and would love for me to go. I decided to go. I mean, since I’m a student, I get in free. (I’m sure that’s somehow included into my cost of tuition.)

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!

I had been to many NASCAR Cup races at Talladega before, but this was a football game. One team versus another. In my sport, it’s one driver versus 39 other drivers. The atmosphere was electric! I sat in the student section, which was an awesome experience. I actually tried to pay attention and learn the game. There were a few instances where I jumped into the air after a UAB touchdown. Before this, I only knew that if one team makes it to the other side with the ball, they score. Two weeks later, I actually asked questions like “what’s a 4th down and 7?” and other similar questions. When I received the explanation, it made the game clearer to me. I could understand it and apply what I had learned to what I was seeing.  

This got me thinking, “How much effort do I put into studying and learning from God’s Word?” Honestly answering, before March of this year, my Bible was just something I put on my table in my room and opened when I needed a “magic” verse. Throughout the summer, I was challenged by my Life Group at GFBC to get into God’s Word and read what it had to say. I’m horrible at memorizing anything. I bought a $2 notebook about the size of my Bible and started to take notes on what I read. I have grown closer to God’s Word by putting effort into learning it and meditating on it daily. Again being honest, there are some days where I may only study my verse of the day. (I try to do a verse of the day in the morning and a chapter from a book I am studying in the afternoon/night.) One thing is that I try to read at least something from the Bible every day. It’s become a part of my daily life. I realized that I hadn’t been putting effort into studying and trying to see what God has to say in His Word. 

Once I did start putting effort, God started and is still speaking to me through what I read. God’s Word has written promises to us, is perfect truth, is unbreakable, and is unshakable. There’s much to discover and I’m just getting started. I would personally like to challenge you to put some effort into learning and understanding God’s Word. Maybe you don’t know where to start. I started with the book of John. Start with the Gospels. “Where do I go when I’m done?” As my college pastor said, “Keep going on to the next book.” Pray that God would lead you to where He wants you to read. Put effort, don’t just read but also meditate on what you read. Take notes, journal, make flash cards; whatever works for you. When you start putting effort into studying and understanding God’s Word, God will teach you things that will apply to your everyday lives. Once you learn those things, you won’t forget them. 

Honestly, I may become a football fan the more I go to games and learn the game. (I am looking for options once Dale Jr. retires at the end of the season.) I also want to continue putting effort into learning what God has to teach me through His Word. I pray that you would join me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10