Weekend Workout

Everyone has their own way to work out and exercise. For me, I walk about half a mile every day I go to class. But on the weekends, things change!
I have a collection of VBS DVD’s and VHS cassettes from every VBS I have attended (with the exception of 2005, 2008, 2015, and 2016). My favorite parts are the music videos. If you’re familiar with LifeWay VBS, you probably have heard of Jeff Slaughter. Jeff did the VBS music from 1996 to 2012.

Every Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon, I grab a few of the VBS DVD’s or cassettes and go to the music section. Some people may consider these VBS songs just for kids. All of these songs hold a special place in my heart. Sure, they were written for VBS, but they are loaded with scripture and important truths found in the Bible. For example, there’s one song from 2009 that drilled the verse, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Another song from 2011 teaches about the Great Commission. I could go on and on.

All these songs have motions to go with them. I love worshipping and doing the motions to the songs! Not to take away from the songs from 2013 to today, but Jeff Slaughter’s songs were filled with so much sign language. I love learning the sign language from the songs, some of which I still remember from when I was a kid at VBS. Let me tell you something…Doing a few of these songs will have you sweating! There’s a few days where I do over 10 songs. Between all the jumping and raising hands, one can work out a sweat.

Currently, I am working on learning the motions for VBS 2018, Game On! If your church is having Game On! and you haven’t seen the music videos yet, get ready! There’s a lot of cheerleading motions, marching band motions, and sports related motions. I did just the theme song and I was already breaking a sweat!


Why do I do this? Simple. I do this as my creative outlet when it comes to worshipping God. Like I said earlier, these songs are filled with truths that relate to my life today. Even though some of these songs are about as old as I am, the message of God speaks to my heart. As I like to say often, if I can worship God and do a little workout, then it’s a win-win situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching The Word, Planting the Seeds: CFBC VBS 2017

Understanding And Bearing

I Turned 21, but I'm Really 10